Saturday, February 27, 2010

Didn't We Just See This Movie?

Another devastating earthquake, this time in Chile. The 8.8 quake, one of the strongest in recorded history, hit near Concepcion, about 200 miles south of Santiago, and lasted for more than a minute. The quake "tossed people around as if they were on an airplane experiencing extreme turbulence" according to Chilean TV sources.

For those of you who have never been in an earthquake -- let alone one of such a high magnitude (and very few have) -- or extreme turbulence in an airplane, suffice it to say that that minute undoubtedly felt like a lifetime.

And then some.

This far, over 200 people have been reported killed.

As is being reported, newer, more earthquake- safe buildings survived the massive quake reasonably well. Older buildings, unfortunately, did not.

The building to the right is Santiago's Academy of Fine Arts, a gorgeous, elegant structure, which sustained heavy damage. In addition to the vibrant, modern and cosmopolitan Santiago, the cities of Concepcion, Vina del Mar, an incredibly beautiful and charming town on the coast, and its neighbor Valparaiso, the major port of Chile were also hard hit.

Without doubt, some of my favorite places on Earth.

Given its distance from much of the world, as well as its recent political history, Santiago de Chile is not well-known. A foreign capital thousands of miles, if not worlds, away. Indeed, when flying from San Francisco, the equator is the half-way point in the trip. As a result, many of us likely had the same reaction to this quake as we did to Haiti's: Horrible, to be sure, but at least it didn't affect anyone in my family.

Unless, of course, it did.

And while I don't have blood family in Chile, some of my very closest friends and their children live in Santiago. You can check out a photo of one of these families in the November 30, 2009 post, "Earning Thanks".

Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, a geography of 'high seismic activity' (read: the ground shakes regularly and sometimes with terrific force) we are taught from an early age how to behave during and immediately after an earthquake. One rule that's been drilled into us from elementary school: Do NOT use a phone after an earthquake. Clogging the phone lines is not a good thing and may prevent emergency and rescue teams from doing their jobs.

Sounds reasonable, no? Unless, of course, you actually want to see if your family survived the earthquake. Let me tell you, it gets personal fast when it's your family that's been involved in a disaster.

So, of course, what did I do early Saturday morning upon hearing about the earthquake? If you guessed 'Did what I had been taught and patiently waited to call my dear friends in Santiago', you lose. Badly. Next time opt for 'I got on the phone and called Santiago as if I was trying to be the 10th caller for a radio contest, eager to hear that my friends and their families lived.' (Wait to call? Are you kidding?)

Unfortunately, at post time I had not gotten through to anyone. No direct contact. No e-mail. No voicemail. No confirmation of any kind that my dear friends and their wonderful children had survived the devastation.

I am, of course, hopeful. But until I hear that they are safe and that their homes and businesses survived, I am alone with my fears, wondering about the people a world away that I love.

3 comments:

  1. Please let us know once you make contact with your friends.
    Many thanks for your column; I gain some new insight or appreciation nearly every week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinkin of you and your friend. Please let us know if you make contact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Everyone is fine, though all have close friends who were either injured or lost loved ones. The tsunami that hit the coast swept away many, especially children who were swimming at the time. My friends were incredibly luck.

    ReplyDelete